Canada is known as a country that welcomes immigrants and accepts an average of 250,000 immigrants per year.
However, while Canada is welcoming, potential immigration candidates still have to go through an application process and fit in one of the established classes in order to be successful and come to Canada as permanent residents.
How do qualify to immigrate to Canada?
You begin the process by filing an application for immigration with Canada Citizenship and Immigration. You must also provide Citizenship and Immigration Canada with all documents they require in order to process your application.
Note that eligibility requirements differ depending on which class you apply under.
This class administers applications under these federal economic immigration programs:
- The Federal Skilled Worker Program;
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program; and
- The Canadian Experience Class.
The express entry program has two parts:
- Possible candidates complete an online Express Entry profile;
- Those who meet the criteria of one of the federal immigration programs listed above will be accepted into a pool of candidates; and
- Those candidates who position the highest in the pool will be invited to apply for permanent residence;
- Candidates are usually ranked through a points system and are ranked against each other.
This is a category in which the potential candidate has to prove a net worth of $10 million or more, which was acquired through legal investments or private sector business activities.
If you are accepted to the second stage review, you must also get a due diligence report and make an at-risk investment in the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Fund.
A permanent resident or citizen of Canada who is over 18 years old can sponsor specific relatives to come to Canada.
Such relatives include: spouse, partner or dependent children, parents or grandparents, adopted children and other eligible relatives.
In order to apply for the provincial nominees program, you have to contact the province or territory for which you want to apply directly.
Each province and territory has their own selection criteria and requirements for potential nominees.
Under this category you must meet all of these requirements:
- Have relevant experience, and intend and be able to be self-employed in Canada,
- Meet the selection criteria for self-employed people, and
- Meet medical, security and other conditions.
Refugees must qualify for entry under Canada’s laws and must pass medical and security checks before they can come to Canada.
Permanent residents and citizens of Canada can privately sponsor refugees to come to Canada.
Caregivers can qualify to become permanent residents in Canada in three ways through the Caregiver program. If the caregiver is eligible through:
Who doesn’t qualify?
There are also people who are inadmissible to immigrate to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Some of these reasons are: you have been convicted of a crime, you are a security risk, and you have serious health or financial problems.
If you want to immigrate to Canada through any of the above classes you should consult a lawyer.
Determine your eligibility Immigrate to Canada
Find Application Forms and Guides